27 May, 2007

New picture of Pixel...

and adventures in how to be a bad mom.


Here he is, all grown up...my little Pixelator:



I accidentally dropped Pixel into a bowl of water that was soaking in the kitchen sink. I have read that it is not healthy for hamsters to be wet or bathed, as it can kill them if they catch a chill. That having been said, I do NOT recommend dropping your hamster into a bowl of water.


I feel the need to explain myself, so you all should know I was just cleaning his exercise ball and he was running around on my shoulders. He speeds up the longer he is out and he managed to run down my arm and for safety reasons I allowed him on the counter top with the intention of putting him back on my shoulder. Before I could grab him, he slipped on the stainless steel edge of the sink and plopped right into the bowl of water. Ooops.


So, I searched what to do if your hamster gets wet and found that you should use a hairdryer on him on a cool setting with about a foot of space between the hamster and the hairdryer.


FYI, it takes a very long time to dry a hamster with this method.


Another time, I accidentally went to bed after handling him and forgot to close the door to his cage. At about 4 am, Francois (my cat) was frantically trying to wake me and I chose to ignore him. He was apparently trying to wake me to inform me that Pixel had escaped and was cruising around our flat.


I didn't know this until I awoke around 7 am, at which time the search party began. We weren't entirely sure if Francois would eat him or not, but it turns out that he just isn't all that hungry. We didn't find him that morning, so I put hamster food all around in places I thought he could be hiding in hopes of coaxing him out.


No such luck, but Francois did lead Cybr to where Pixel was hiding and we recovered him intact.


Bonus that he was still alive, I felt like crap already.


So, that should sum up how NOT to care for your hamster! Any questions?


P.S. At least I haven't dropped him like three or four times like his dad has done!

No comments: