14 March, 2007

A cup of joe with a lady I don't know (poetry, isn't it?)

I just spent entirely too much time sitting in a coffee shop talking to two complete strangers. I had a mental list of things I planned to do today and very little will get done now, not that it's a bad thing.

I ordered a cup of coffee and planned on playing with my new toy (DS Lite) and unwinding a bit after my violin lesson and before doing everything else. While I waited for my coffee, I made some idle chit chat with an older lady who was also waiting on coffee. This turned into a three hour chat and uproarious laughter with this 60 year-old Brit and her 60(ish) year-old Australian partner. We covered every subject including history and politics. They were cracking me up.

It is not uncommon for me to strike up conversation with strangers, but rarely does it continue for three hours. They are very nice people and batshit crazy, but in a good way.

I have been invited to shop with them next week at a market they know of here that is difficult to find. They have been coming here on holiday for fifteen years and now come to visit her son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren.

They are a riot, my cheeks actually hurt.

There is a possibility that this is the same crazy, old British lady that I spoke with while wading in the ocean during our visit last May. The same crazy, old lady that asked me how I was enjoying my holiday and then informed me that she "had sex with a China man once, but that was a long time ago". It may be her. Or not.

Either way, I had a great afternoon.

No comments: