23 March, 2007

Q1 - What is it like to grocery shop in Hong Kong?

I absolutely love shopping for groceries here.

I take my environmentally friendly bags, which most people here do, and I shop for a day or two of food. Preservatives seem to be used less here, which creates a much shorter shelf life, even in some frozen foods.

For produce and fresh seafood (by fresh I mean still alive, even the shrimp) there are two ways to shop. You can purchase fresh produce and live seafood in grocery stores as well as at the street markets. There is a great variety for both and everything I could get in the U.S. plus things I have never heard of are available. They do not spray wax on the fresh fruit to make it look pretty and shiny, which is fine by me since I am not lacking in dietary wax...

As for chicken and beef, it is available very fresh at the grocery stores and is VERY affordable. We actually eat WAY better here than we ever did at home because everything is SO affordable here.

You can buy some really weird stuff here, too. All I can think of right now is chicken feet. A styrofoam tray, like what ground beef comes packaged in, but it is filled with chicken feet. Yes, the feet of a chicken just hacked off with skin and claws.

I initially thought it would be annoying to have to grocery shop daily, but after doing it for six months I find that it actually works well for us. When meats are frozen, I don't take the time to thaw them and we eat out. When I buy it fresh and unfrozen, I have no excuse.

There are several grocery stores to choose from here, much like in the U.S, but the one closest to us is called Park 'n Shop, which is kinda ironic since no cars are allowed here. Hehe.

Thanks for the question, Mae!

No comments: