04 February, 2007

Doggie Day Trip

above: Chini going crazy in the sand
above: Chini cleaning her nose...mmm, yummy sand
above: Guinness being stern. Why? We may never know.
above: Guinness catching a breeze
above: view I captured during our hike
above: a boat adrift at sea
Chicken prints (aka Chini prints, we call her Chicken sometimes)


We decided to take the fuzzy kids on a hike on Saturday. They need the exercise and so do we, quite honestly. We have taken this hike before and taken the complete hike, but decided the first time out that the full journey was too long and steep for the kids. So, we opted for the shortened version.

The full hike is a two or three hour hike and goes from Discovery Bay to Mui Wo and we hiked it a few weeks ago. It goes over mountains across to the other side of Lantau Island and is very cool. I will try to get some other pics together from the full hike, but for today I will focus on the doggie day trip.

It is only about 30-45 minutes of a hike to a beach that is near the Trappist Monastery. We were practically dragged there by our dogs since they were all excited about going "bye-bye" and were very much overly stimulated within 15 minutes of the journey. Once we finally got to the beach, Chini and Guinness got to see the ocean for the first time ever. Chini is our water dog, but even she was a little apprehensive due to the ebb and flow so I had to wade in with her. The water is VERY FREAKIN' cold right now, just so you know. I rolled up my jeans and took off my shoes, unleashed the kids and in we went. Chini seemed to like it, despite the apprehension, and Guinness would not go too close to it but we expected as much from him since he hates water.
Both of them enjoyed the sand. Chini likes to roll in it and make puppy angels and dig her nose into it. She does the same thing with snow. It seems to make her crazy. Guinness just liked the way it feels to run in it and kick it up.

We were totally alone on the beach. Just me, the hubby (Cybr, for future reference) and the fuzzy kids...until a little old lady came up behind me and scared me half to death. She came out of no where without a sound. It was at that moment that I thought "Perhaps I should go get my shoes, because it would be a crappy hike back barefoot.". Not that I expected anyone would steal them, but just to be safe. I get to my shoes (they are still there, yea!!) and as I am putting them on I realize that Chini's leash is gone. I had set it right by my shoes. It is gone. I think, "Cybr probably picked it up". I go around the big rocks to find him and he says he doesn't have it. We searched our backpack, no leash. Great. Two dogs, one leash. This is not good.

To make a long story longer, Cybr saw where the little old lady went so I went to ask her about the leash. It is just principle that I cannot just let it go. I walk up to her house and she is outside in her yard with her dog and I ask in Cantonese "Hai bin dou" which means "where?" and I hold up the leash...she ignores me for like five minutes while I am talking to her and then finally looks at me and shakes her head "no".

Okay, clearly she is lying. She was the only other person on the whole beach. Seriously, I would rather give her the money for her to buy a leash than to have her steal mine. It annoys me. Oh, well, what more can I do? Beat up an old lady over a leash? Seems reasonable to me, but I think Cybr might have objected. Hehe.

So, we made it back home with a homemade leash made of plastic strips that we found tied to something on the closest pier. Guinness was completely indignant about his homemade leash, he was so embarrassed. Poor kid.

By the way, the Cantonese phrase is courtesy of Cybr. He just picks this stuff up at work. He is a fart smeller...er, a smart fellow. Something like that.

No comments: