25 February, 2007

Mmm...soup...er, I mean noodle soup!

I like to cook. I prefer quick recipes that have some nutritional value. But I don't like them to taste "nutritional".

I made the most delicious chicken noodle soup with an Asian motif and I am going to share:

Ingredients:


3 cups chicken stock
3-4 cups water
grated fresh ginger, to taste
2-6 cloves of garlic, to taste
2-3 T. soy sauce
2 small red chillies, thinly sliced
2-3 chicken breasts
approx 1 lb hokkien noodles (or any noodle, really)
fresh asparagus, maybe a 1/2 lb.,
cut into bite-sized pieces
4 green onions, chopped

This really only takes about 20-25 minutes. Seriously.
1)Combine stock, water, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and chillies into a large pot; cover, bring to a boil.
2)Add raw chicken breasts, bring back to a boil. Then simmer for about 15 minutes when the chicken should be cooked through. Remove chicken from stock mixture.
3)Return stock mixture to boil, add noodles, separate noodles with a fork. Add asparagus and some of the green onion. Simmer, until noodles are tender.
4)Meanwhile, slice up the chicken.
5)Divide noodles and soup into serving bowls and top with chicken slices; may also top with raw green onion and chillies if you like that sort of thing.


There is only 6g of fat per serving, this recipe serves 3-4 people.

And I thought it was delicious and so did Cybr (and he isn't a big fan of veggies).

This is the end result:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you eat the soup with chop sticks?

HK Muse said...

I forgot to add the spoon. I actually just got the hang of eating with both. You use the chopsticks to pile stuff into your spoon and then you can either eat from the spoon or pick stuff up from your spoon with the chopsticks. But my favorite part of Asian culture is that when you get down to just broth, it is totally acceptable to put the bowl up to your mouth.