02 February, 2007

A little background info...

I suppose I will start by sharing that Francis is currently helping me type this post. He seems very eager to get the ball rolling...

I feel the need to disclose a very important fact...no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Now that that has been said...

So, it started with my boyfriend of three years getting a transfer offer from his employer to move to Hong Kong. This is an excellent career move for him, so we discuss the details and come up with if the package is good and the pets can be shipped without quarantine then we will go. So, after much research and negotiation, we were selling houses and vehicles, I was resigning from my job and we were informing our families and friends...

If it were only THAT easy. My boyfriend throws a curve into the mix. He asks for my hand in marriage with the understanding that he has been meaning to do it for a while, so he doesn't want me to think it is just because we are moving abroad. I agree to marriage because he is my best friend and we both decide we should do it before we leave so that our families can be present.

So, sell two houses, two vehicles, pack up our belongings, plan a wedding...uh, okay, we were crazy! But we we did pull it off and it was lovely. We were married in a Chinese Garden which was beautiful and meaningful, as we are beginning our marriage in China. We had a lovely ceremony that was officiated by a good friend who doubles as a Reverend. We were not able to have a reception, but we intend to do it when our honeymoon is over!

And then I shipped my new husband to Hong Kong...

I had to stay in the states until our loose ends were all tied up, which ended up being six weeks. I must say that after being apart for six weeks it is very strange thing to re-start a marriage that you were only joined in for about a week...
But that is a story for another post.

No comments: