22 February, 2007

Please pass the Pepto.

I am cooking a steaming hot bowl of rice for Chini.


Once again, she has scrounged up something delectably disgusting to eat outside. There are so many things to choose from here. Her favorites are dead crustaceans, wet/squishy cat food, dried poop, and anything else that you can imagine that will make you want to puke in your mouth a little bit...

This bad behavior of hers has only one result...diarrhea. Bad things are happening in her cute little girl belly.

This is the number one SUCK thing about living in Hong Kong...NOT HAVING A YARD so the dogs can just poop and I can be none the wiser. I miss the days of just opening and closing a door and the dogs just do their business. Ahh...the blissful ignorance. Now, I am all into their business. Not by choice, by shear necessity. Poop pick-up is necessary here since the grassy areas are public areas.

Imagine for a moment, if you will...having to pick up dog poop is one thing but the added twist of having it be in a non-solid form is just more than I am prepared to handle. This is where the Pepto and rice come into play. These two things combined will settle and solidify her ickyness. (Please don't try this at home without consent from your vet.)

I know, I am gross. I am sharing entirely too much info. Go ahead and say it, "TMI!!!".
The way I see it, THIS is all part of living in Hong Kong compared to living in the Midwestern US.

Gross or not...I just want everyone to share my experience.

And I like to think I am grossing you all out, too. Hehe.
UPDATE:
Chini had to have a trip to the vet shortly after I posted this entry due to passing an enormous amount of blood.
As it turns out, her diarrhea was due to poisoning. She was poisoned by our grass. More specifically from the insecticides that are sprayed on the grass and are activated by our polluted rain.
Apparently, per her vet, it absorbs through the skin, through sores and goes to the blood. And, since she licks her feet and chews her nails, she digests the toxins as well.
So, she is having to take four kinds of medicine to correct her digestive system and liver function. And she has to eat yogurt once a day to restore good bacteria. And her feet must be washed with soapy water everytime she is on the grass to prevent further digestion.
The vet said it should have caused permanent damage. He said the reason for all the blood was that all of her intestinal lining is gone.
She still has a belly ache and her little butt is sore, but I can tell she feels better already...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Chini
I'm so glad you caught it in time! It's like that mushroom scenario we were talking about... Geesh. How scary! I'm so glad she's feeling better.

HK Muse said...

Yeah, this scared the crap out of me. She still has diarrhea but she is definitely feeling better. I just wish I could make her feel all better. And I am trying!

Anonymous said...

You poor thing, I don't know who to feel more sorry for, you or Chini girl. At least you know now and you can take the necessary precausions. That's crazy! Glad to hear she's doing better.