02 February, 2007

I don't care how you get here, just get here

I said I was going to share the trials and tribulations of being newlyweds and being apart for 6 weeks...so here goes.

It kinda sucks. There are definitely worse things but it is a very awkward situation, to say the least.

I cannot speak for my hubby, but I would be willing to bet he felt very similarly in that it was an enormous relief to see him after so long. It was comforting to me to have his arms around me after all the stress of getting everything completed before I could leave. I imagine that after being alone in an unfamiliar city a half a world away from all his family and friends and adjusting to a new job and new responsibilities, that he probably felt a very similar relief.

And then life resumes...only the two of you are a little awkward around one another, like you aren't certain how one is going to react and you can't believe the other just threw dirty clothes all over the floor and did I just trip over a damn shoe for the third night in a row. You lack the routine comfort you knew before you were apart for so long. Couple that with wondering yourself if you were absolutely OUT OF YOUR MIND to move half way around the world. You grieve your family and friends, you grieve your job, you grieve your comfort and familiarity with "home" and you think "OMG! I moved to Hong Kong to be with an ALIEN that I am married to! What the hell was I thinking!?!?!"

And then you begin to adjust to your surroundings and get a routine and start to recognize your significant other as the person you once loved and not a grousome, sloppy alien.

Before you know it, you are back to the same place you once were in your relationship and that makes it easier to complete the adjustment of being in a foreign country and trying to make it "home".

2 comments:

Buddha said...

I am still married to a sloppy alien... hehehe
LOVE the journal!
and love you
Heather

Anonymous said...

We're all married to aliens! Reading your journal is just like listening to you talk! Your're CRAZY, you know!?! Love you're pics. Miss you! Post more pics. And, have Mr. Cybr take some pics of you. Talk with you soon. Mom